Sunday, July 27, 2008

Popcorn Done Right

It's been far too long since I've reposted my instructions on popcorn making. Use this recipe the next time you rent movies.

This post was originally on my first, myspace, blog on June 6, 2006.

Educational Programming

Just to show that this blog is not just about random musings and my various obsessions, I will offer up a little bit of educational programming.

I am a big popcorn fan. It's my favourite snack and I've become quite adept at making good popcorn. So good, in fact, that I'm forced to share it with my co-workers at least once a month. It's gotten to the point where I now bring in five large freezer bags full. It's gone in a day, at most.

So, without further ado, here is Remi's Rules of Popcorn Making:

Step 1 - Go to cupboard and take out box of microwave popcorn.

2 - Take bags out of box.

3 - Throw bags in garbage.

4 - Recycle box.

5 - Go to local grocery store.

6 - Buy popcorn kernels. Orville Redenbacher is worth the extra money - it gives a better yield (less wasted kernels) and has a lighter, fluffier taste and texture. The cheaper stuff is still good, however, and usually a lot cheaper.

7 - Buy canola oil. Name brand or no name, it doesn't matter. Canola gives the best taste, but any vegetable oil will work.

8 - Buy salt, if you don't already have any. For a special treat, buy butter, but it really isn't necessary as the popcorn is tasty enough as is.

9 - Whatever you do, do not buy margarine. While movie theatres like to pass off becel as a butter substitute, they are wrong. You either use butter or you don't. There are no half measures.

10 - I'm serious, no margarine.

11 - Go home and turn on stove to high.

12 - Find your oldest dented medium sized pot with lid. Place on stove.

13 - Drop a little bit of oil into pot and spread it around. Just a few drops.

14 - Pour in popcorn kernels. I usually aim to cover the bottom of the pot but it's all a matter of taste and practise. Good popcorn making is an inexact art. You will eventually get a feel for it.

15 - Add more oil. The kernels should be well coated, but not doing the backstroke. Don't skimp, however, or you will lessen the taste.

16 - Shake pot occasionally. Especially when the kernels really start to pop.

17 - Get out bowl. I prefer a monster sized stainless steel one I got from Ikea, but it's really up to you.

18 - When popping slows almost to a stop, take pot off heat and dump in bowl.

18a - If lid starts to lift while popcorn is still popping, hold lid down with a little bit of pressure. Let it rise, but keep some pressure on or you risk a mess. Cleaning burnt popcorn off the elements sucks.

19 - Salt and butter to taste and enjoy. For an extra special treat, melt butter in a small sauce pan on the stove. Much tastier than microwaving.

Now, I make no claims that this is a healthy snack. That would just be foolish. If you want healthy popcorn, buy a hot air popper. They are cheap, quick and still offer fairly tasty popcorn.
What I will say about health issues, though, is that popcorn done right involves far fewer scary chemicals and trans fats than the bagged variety.

If you've made it this far, it's time to go enjoy your popcorn.

No comments: