My apartment now smells of equal parts lysol and windex, which is nicer than it sounds. If there is anything worse than apartment cleaning I haven't found it. Fortunately, the result - a clean apartment - is enough of a reward to get me scrubbing and dusting with abandon.
One of the things that really helps a day of cleaning is good music. Of course, it can't be just any music. I've found the best cleaning music is familiar - songs you know by heart, preferably - and not something that is going to bog you down. I usually wind up playing a series of albums though I have tried the occasional itunes playlist. The problem with itunes, though, is it involves using the computer and I am way too easily distracted to go anywhere near the computer while cleaning.
The soundtrack for this day of cleaning?
1. Howlin' Wolf - The Definitive Collection - built for comfort and with a voice that kills.
2. The Beatles - Help - do I really need to explain the Beatles presence here?
3. The Beatles - Rubber Soul - ditto.
4. Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison - I'm still partial to San Quentin but this is a great one to caterwaul along to.
5. Sufjan Stevens - Illinois - wonky, but great, an album I've played to death but have yet to get bored of.
6. The White Stripes - Icky Thump - Jack White is about the most versatile singer/guitarist out there. From his early blues stomps to the fuller sound of the later albums, I listen to his stuff in a constant state of amazement.
7. Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings The Flood - Strange songs and a voice that kills. Most musicians move to the States to make it big. It's nice to see someone reverse the trend and come to Canada to start a career.
After the cleaning, I unwound with:
Brahms' String Quartets Numbers 1 & 2 performed by The Emerson Quartet
Ron Sexsmith - Exit Strategy of the Soul (an album that's really starting to grow on me)
So, what music do you clean to?