Friday, May 23, 2008

Doors Open

I just realized that this weekend is Doors Open Toronto. I can't believe I almost missed it. It's a great event that everyone should go to. Something like 150 buildings 0pen themselves for the public to tour. Most of them only admit the public or only open up certain areas this one weekend so you don't want to miss it.

This year, the only must see for me is the radio side of the CBC building. Other than that I will just sort of wander downtown and see what I see. If I have the time, I may get back up to see Coach House Press. It's quite cool.

Even cooler, it's all free.

Other than that, I finished Suze Rotolo's memoirs. They were great. A perfect read for anyone interested in early 60's New York and some harmonica player from Minnesota.

Last weekend, I was up at my parents new house outside of Parry Sound. It was a great break. While I was up there, I made sure to pay a visit to Parry Sound Books. While some of the staff are not the friendliest of sorts, the store is great with an excellent selection.

I picked up Alan Bennett's The Uncommon Reader. It's a small, funny book that works on the premise that the Queen, through a chance encounter with a bookmobile, becomes a compulsive reader. It's more gentle grins than laugh out loud hilarity but I liked it a lot.

Well, that's enough for now. It's looking nice out so I think I will try to get a walk in before work.

No comments: