Saturday, June 14, 2008

Stormy Weather

Listening to last night's thunder storm brought back memories of storms as a really young child. I still remember being told by my parents that thunder was just "God moving his furniture." As a fairly literal minded kid, I spent a lot of time trying to picture some old man (always a man, though I'd have doubts about that now)shuffling chairs and tables about.

While my beliefs have changed over the years, I think it's a interesting image. I also love the sense of tradition. It's one of those notions parents pass on to their kids who, in turn, pass it on to their kids and so on.

Last night, I made a conscious effort to leave the flicker box off and to just spend the evening reading. It's a tougher thing to do than it should be. It's so easy to just flick it on for a few minutes, only to watch an hour or two get sucked away.

Last night was really nice. I had a coffee, a good book (David Wroblewski's The Story of Edgar Sawtelle) and a disc of Mozart's piano concertos. So while god (or your diety of choice) shuffled the table and chairs about, I sank into my sofa for a while and read.

No comments: