Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Canadian Book Challenge Eh?

I've decided to take up the Canadian book challenge. The goal is to read 13 Canadian books by July 1, 2008. You can find out more here - http://bookmineset.blogspot.com/2007/10/canadian-book-challenge.html

I wish I had found this earlier as I've been on a bit of a CanCon kick lately. In the past couple of months, I've read Ray Robertson's What Happened Later, Heather O'Neill's Lullabies for Little Criminals and, most recently, Elizabeth Hay's excellent Giller Prize winner Late Nights On Air.

While I would love to add them retroactively, I won't. That means my first one will be Corey Redekop's Shelf Monkey. I figure I will go for variety here. I'll take the chance to read an old favourite or two (like Earle Birney's Turvey or Michael Winter's This All Happened), maybe a play (Tomson Highway's Dry Lips Oughta Move to Kapuskasing) and some poetry (Purdy or Acorn). I'm not sure if I'll get around to doing the white stripes thing (a book from each province and territory) but I'll try.

I'm off now to do some more Christmas shopping. Joy.

1 comment:

John Mutford said...

Glad to have you joining us, and I'm very glad that you're up for adding some variety to the picks.

Have fun shopping- is that possible?