Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Millionaires and (Mis-) Calculations

What I've been up to this weekend (tomorrow's my Monday) -

Had my eyes checked - same prescription as last time. The eyedrops weren't bad, as long as you didn't want to read your watch or anything with your glasses on.

Changed cell phone companies after 12 years - in retrospect, I could have got the same deal and stayed at Bell. After 12 years, though, it was time for a change. Nice thing is I got to take my phone number with me (it changed over almost immediately).

I went to see Slumdog Millionaire last night. Not only is it my favourite Danny Boyle film (remember he did 28 Days Later and Trainspotting, 2 movies that should make it onto everyone's all time favourites list), it's probably one of the best movies I've seen in a few years. Of course, watching the movie made me think it might be time to go back to India. It's been far too long since my last time over there.

Reading the Zombie's website, she mentioned road trip music. This got me to thinking about what my ultimate road trip list would be. I figured I'd come up with the list and then blog it. I'd even burn copies for anyone interested.

Simple.

Uh. . . No. I love itunes for making lists as I just make a playlist and then drop in the tunes I think would work. After going through the collection, I open the playlist and go over it, removing tunes and rearranging until I have a good solid mix, ready to be burned.

I did the usual cull for this playlist and immediately noticed two things -

1. My ultimate list has a split personality. On the one side is all the blues, country and roots stuff that just goes so well with a road rolling by. On the other side is all the rock, pop and punk stuff I wouldn't want to miss out on.

2. My long list is way too long. 160 songs.

It's going to take a little longer than I thought. I'm going to have pull out the scalpel and dig in but I think, given the split personality, it will actually be 2 separate lists. Sadly, today is cleaning day so I might not get to it until this evening at least. If not, it will have to hold for a few days as I am going into the toughest stretch of the work schedule. Between tomorrow and Tuesday, I will work almost 66 hours. It's harsh, but the weekends are worth it.

2 comments:

Daibhin said...

My song list would have a split personality as well. I prefer to think of it as eclectic.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

160 songs! That ain't gonna fit on one cd. But it will get you a fair way down the highway.

My road trip mixes tend to be all over the place, musically. No rhyme or reason to them, but it keeps them interesting.