Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Why I'm Glad I Don't Live in Little Italy

I would be far, far too close to Soundscapes, Toronto's best cd store. As it was, I made a post-work payday trip on the College streetcar and immersed myself in some new sounds. New to me, at least. Right now, I'm switching between Arthur Russell's Love is Overtaking Me, Bon Iver's For Emma, Forever Ago and Alela Diane's To Be Still. Not bad considering I went there looking for Hey Rosetta!'s disc (which I will have to get next time).

Still making my way through The Savage Detectives despite a number of distractions and detours (so many good books I want to read and have started). My advice is to go out and read it. You won't be disappointed. It's by far the longest novel I've ever read about poets.

Looking forward to this weekend. My father's coming down for a couple of days to hang out. I think it's his first time in the city since he retired. I've been hearing about this restaurant way out Queen St. East - The Tulip - that has great steaks so I think we will have to go see for ourselves.

After that, on Monday, my friend Sean will be in from Winnipeg. Sadly, I work at 4 the next morning so whatever we wind up doing will have to end way too early.

In other news, I have a ticket for the Bonnie Prince Billy show in May. As soon as I heard about it, I knew I had to get one. My friend Ezio got me listening to him. It took a while for me to come around, but now I love his stuff.

And now, I think a nap is in order. I work the late shift tonight so I might as well try to be somewhat rested.

1 comment:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I had forgotten that Bonnie Prince Billy is touring. The Spousal Unit really likes him (I quite like him, but not to the same degree), and I should look into getting some tix.

Neko Case's new cd is now out, but, as you, I live a long way from the only decent record store in town.