Friday, October 17, 2008

The Soundtrack for My Friday Night

Had to rinse the dirty taste of politics out of my mouth by offering up something a little lighter. As such, here is my soundtrack for this Friday night while I do laundry and get ready for a trip up north:

1. Help Me Make It Through the Night - Kris Kristofferson - one of my all-time favourite songwriters. One of my favourite songs.

2. String Bean Jean - Belle and Sebastien - I've become a B&S junkie and I'm not afraid to admit it.

3. Easy Does It - Bonnie Prince Billy - My friend Ezio turned me on to Mr. Oldham's wonderful music. It took me a while to fall under the spell, but I did.

4. Tank Park Salute - Billy Bragg - I put this on a mixed cd I recently made for a friend and now I can't stop listening to it.

5. Angel of Lyon - Tom Russell - Americana never sounded so good. My foot stomps and my heart soars just thinking of it.

6. Willow Tree - Chad Vangaalen - Barbara is right. He is great.

7. Born On a Train - Magnetic Fields - Oddly perfect pop is what they do and this is both odd and perfect.

8. Most of the Time (alternate version) - Bob Dylan - Even his outtakes are golden.

9. Famous Blue Raincoat - Leonard Cohen - The weather turns cold and my heart turns to old Cohen songs for sustenance.

10. The Needle Has Landed - Neko Case - What a voice.

11. Country Road - Forest City Lovers - Saw this band at Word on the Street. Fantastic.

12. He Stopped Loving Her Today - Johnny Cash - George Jones does do it better, but this one, with Cash's aged voice and simple accompaniment, is a gem in its own right.

So, what are you listening to right now?

1 comment:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

There is so much to love on your soundtrack!

Never be afraid to admit your true love for B&S!

And I am loving that you have discovered Chad VanGaalen. He is an original!

You are so right about Magnetic Fields, sometimes nothing else will do.

Neko Case's voice gives me the chills, she is that good.

Funny thing, but I do that same as you, put a song on a mix cd and then get caught up in it myself.

I've been listening to a lot of John-Rae and the River the last couple of days. And howling along.