The evil genius behind Bad Tempered Zombie (http://badtemperedzombie.blogspot.com/) has found a cruel and dastardly way to keep me from my apartment cleaning. She completed the Top 25 Most Played Songs meme and posted the results on her blog. Now I must take very important dusting time and spend it listing my 25. Curses.
Of course, this list is skewed for a number of reasons. The biggest reason is that my ipod is mostly full of entire albums ripped from cds I own. As such, a lot of songs get played because they are on cds I like, even if they aren't favourites.
That's just as well. Listing my personal top 25 would be a far more difficult and foolish task. Whenever I contemplate doing a full-on, all-time top 5, 10 or 25, I just think of Rob from High Fidelity (the book or the movie) and realize that a) it would take far too much time and b) it would never wind up totally right. So I'll let itunes offer up a list that isn't too embarrassing and leave it at that.
Without further ado, I offer up my top 25 and the number of times played:
1. Atlantic City by Bruce Springsteen (46)
2. Long Haired Child by Devendra Banhart (40)
3. Long Way Home by Tom Waits (38)
4. My Sweet Relief by Martin Tielli (36)
5. Mansion on the Hill by Bruce Springsteen (33)
6. This Lamb Sells Condos by Final Fantasy (33)
7. Lua by Bright Eyes (32)
8. Just Like A Woman by Nina Simone (Dylan cover) (32)
9. True Patriot Love by Joel Plaskett (30)
10. Poor Little Rich Boy by Regina Spektor (30)
11. Nebraska by Bruce Springsteen (29)
12. The Bridge by Elliott Brood (29)
13. So Everyone by Bonnie "Prince" Billy (27)
14. Johnny 99 by Bruce Springsteen (27)
15. Irving Berlin by Ian Tyson (27)
16. Ode to Divorce by Regina Spektor (25)
17. Samson by Regina Spektor (24)
18. In Your Head by Jim Chevalier (22)
19. Double X by Martin Tielli (22)
20. Plea From a Cat Named Virtue by The Weakerthans (22)
21. Highway Patrolman by Bruce Springsteen (21)
22. Bridges and Balloons by Joanna Newsom (21)
23. Fidelity by Regina Spector (21)
24. Rehab by Amy Winehouse (20)
25. State Trooper by Bruce Springsteen (20)
Can you tell I went through a serious Nebraska phase at one point? Where would we be without itunes to record that I have played Bruce Springsteen's Atlantic City a whopping 46 times?
I am pleased to note that my friend Jim makes the list at a very respectable 18'th place.
And now it's time to get back to the housework.