Sunday, September 14, 2008

Genius

Anyone else out there playing with the new Itunes novelty Genius? It was on the latest software update. What it does is offer up a playlist from your library based on a song you select.

For instance, I used genius on the song Desert Island by the Magnetic Fields.

Genius offered up the following selection after Desert Island:

1. Echos Myron by Guided by Voices
2. As You Turn to Go by The 6ths
3. Magnet's Coil by Sebadoh
4. Nice Day for a Sulk by Belle and Sebastian
5. Rollercoaster by Jesus and Mary Chain
6. Singapore by Tom Waits
7. Young Lions by The Constantines
8. Gimme Danger by Iggy Pop
9. The Sun Goes Down and the World Goes Dancing by the Magnetic Fields
10. the Daniel Johnston song Go covered by Sparklehorse and The Flaming Lips

It actually goes on for another 14 songs but you get the idea. It will also offer up a sidebar of recommended songs to buy from itunes, but that is easy enough to hide.

My friend Adam, singer-songwriter and music geek extraordinaire, is quite taken by the concept. He cites some of the almost uncanny selections that appear, songs that compliment or juxtapose themes and styles in ways he might not have come up with himself. He says it has given him a new way to look at his music collection.

I'm not quite so excited, but I think it's an interesting experiment. I keep looking for the stranger, more obscure tunes in my library and checking what Genius will come up with. Overall, it's been pretty good. I can see using it like my own personal radio station for when I'm puttering about.

Speaking of which, I have some laundry and cleaning to do. So excuse me while I putter. . .

1 comment:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

That actually sounds quite cool and something I can see myself using. Is Genius part of the update that itunes keeps wanting to make me download?