Sunday, September 14, 2008

A New Greener Me

Baby steps. . . Baby steps. . .

Lately, I've become sort of bothered by the number of coffee cups I've been using. I love my coffee but I hate making it for myself. As such, I often make the trek down the street to the local Starbucks. Enough trips to Starbucks and even I could see I was wasting a lot of trees.

As such, in a fit of guilt (or whimsy), I went out and bought a stainless steel coffee mug. It feels sort of odd to walk into a coffee shop with your own mug, but the people behind the counter didn't seem to mind.

My verdict? Mixed.

On the plus side, I'm reducing waste. I'm also saving myself some money.

On the minus side, the air-tight seal isn't really all that air tight. I'm glad I was close to home when I first used the mug because walking alround all day with coffee all over my shirt would not have been fun. It's not too bad as long as you're careful, though.

What I'll have to do next is get one for at work.

Now all I have to do is try to cut out the plastic water bottles. . .

2 comments:

Dale said...

Did you know it takes about three litres of water to produce one litre of bottled water? Toronto's tap water is regularly tested and is as pure as anything you'll find in a plastic bottle. But WTG with the port-a-mug dealy! :)

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I had the same epiphany about coffee cups a few months ago and now I always bring my own mug. And at Starbucks you get a 10% discount too. Just get yourself a good cup and you are laughing!

I also got an aluminum water bottle at the Radiohead concert in the summer and no longer buy water bottles. And I get the added benefit of declaring my Radiohead love to the world.