Sunday, November 23, 2008

Petty details or foolish acts of hubris. . .

I'm a big fan of double and triple checking things. With the internet, it's just so easy that I can never understand when people don't double check things. It's something I can be a bit cocky about, truth be told.

And then I go and do something foolish. I buy a ticket in a rush and don't bother double-checking the details. So, while there is a Loudon Wainwright concert happening in Toronto on a November Sunday, it turns out that it is actually happening next Sunday.

Yup.

I figure by then my face will not be quite as red.

In other news, I watched Touch of Evil this weekend and was impressed. I'd never really taken the time to watch any of Orson Welles' movies before. It's one of those things I've always meant to do but never gotten around to. As for this movie, I basically picked Touch of Evil to start with because of Tom Russell's song of the same name. Next weekend, I think I will finally get around to watching Citizen Kane.

I've been spending the last month or so reading through the books I have rather than buying new ones. It's amazing how many books I've bought because they were on sale or because I found a good used copy and then never actually read. Right now, I'm reading Fitzgerald's The Beautiful and Damned. Not quite the thrill of Gatsby, but a great read nonetheless.

It's amazing how much book buying became a habit. I could find all kinds of excuses to go out and pick up a new book. If I was being frugal, then I'd hit the used book stores. I'd still wind up spending money, but I could excuse it as a 'deal'. Right now, when I find a book I must have, I take advantage of ChIndigo's wishlist function and store the title there. That way, I can go and look at it when the embargo is done. For now, I'm doing fine reading books from my own library.

On that note, Mr. Fitzgerald is waiting. . .

No comments: