Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Remembrance Day

Today I will remember the soldiers who died and the ones who lived. I will think of the people who have given their all because that is what their country asked them to do. Today I will observe the silence and wear a poppy and take a little time to think of how lucky I am to be a Canadian.

Tomorrow, however, I suggest we remember the reasons for these wars. Tomorrow, I suggest we remember that the best and the brightest of too many generations have been offered up as cannon fodder so that rich, powerful rulers can become even richer and more powerful.

We are too quick to tell ourselves that we must fight. We are too quick to accept that war is the only answer. We are too quick to believe the headline and ignore the fine print. If war is truly the only answer, then why doesn't it work?

2 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Well said, my friend. We can best honour those who died by not sending in more to join them.

Dale said...

Nicely put, Remi. You too, Barbara.