Friday, November 21, 2008

Random bits. . .

It's an aimless Friday so I'll offer up a suitably aimless post:

Through the wonders of my cable on demand thingamabob, I'm catching up on 30 Rock. I never manage to watch much primetime tv but, if I did, this would be the show. It's one of the funniest shows I've seen in a long time. Well, that and Canada's Worst Driver but the latter is much more a scary funny kind of thing.

I'm going to see Loudon Wainwright on Sunday at Hugh's Room. He's a great songwriter and he's playing at one of my favourite venues.

They're making a biopic of Allen Ginsberg. Not sure I see James Franco as Ginsberg but, still, they're making a biopic of Allen Ginsberg! Maybe this will give me the incentive to finish Bill Morgan's I Celebrate Myself. It's a brick of a book that I've been whittling away at for too long.

Tomorrow, I'm off to the Toronto Train Show. I haven't been to it in years. It's amazing the amount of detail they put in to the layouts. I used to say model railroading is the hobby I'd take up when I retired. Then I saw remote control airplanes. . .

5 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

You've got a busy weekend on tap! Loudon Wainwright also fathered a couple of pretty talented kids, one of whom I am seeing next week. What kind of coincidence is that?

The Beat Museum in San Francisco has got some really amazing photos and memorabilia of Allen Ginsberg, most to them naked, of course.

Remi said...

Yup, that whole clan is almost sickeningly talented. And messed up. But mostly talented. I'm going to have to go see Martha sometime soon.

Next time I'll have to get to the museum. I spent one evening and morning in San Francisco (after a train trip from NYC) so I only had a chance to make my pilgrimage to City Lights bookstore. Like all the best bookstores (NYC's the strand, Paris' Shakespeare and Co.), it was somehow different from and better than what I had expected.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Wow, you've been to some impressive bookstores around the world!

The Beat Museum is just kitty corner from City Lights bookstore in SF. You have to go!

John Mutford said...

Did you see David Cross as Ginsberg in "I'm Not There"?

Remi said...

Not yet. I keep meaning to watch that flick but haven't gotten around to it yet.