Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Perez Hilton versus the Beauty Queen

I'm sure you've likely heard of this one by now. Slimeball Perez Hilton asks aspiring Miss USA about gay marriage. She answers in the negative. Hilton feels that's what cost her the crown. Yada. Yada. Yada.

I don't know who annoys me the most from this exchange:

On the one hand, you have the beauty queen who says that the great thing about America is that you can have it both ways, same sex and opposite sex marriage. She follows this up by contradicting herself, saying that, in her America (Amoronica?), only opposite sex marriages should be allowed. And goldarnit, that's just the way she was raised. So, apparently, the great thing about the States is you are free to believe exactly what she believes. Cue brave I stayed true to myself smile.

Um, yeah. . .

Before you think this is a clear cut case, though, I think you should ask yourself what Hilton was doing asking this question anyways? At it's best, it's a cheap shot. He asked her a loaded question about a divisive topic hoping for her to stumble. When she did, he gloated in front of any camera that would point his way. Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see what the question has to do with winning a beauty pageant. As sad as it is to admit it, she would have likely annoyed just as many people if she had voiced support for gay marriage. Not a pleasant thought but it's probably true.

I'm not saying it should be a divisive topic. It seems ridiculous to me that, in this day and age, people still get so hung up about such a non-issue. But they do. I guess the conservatives find it easier to fight the imaginary evil of homosexuality rather than face the very real evil of, say, global warming.

I think I have to stop watching american news. It's too depressing. With all the revelations this past week about the use of torture, it's kind of sickening that people are spending so much time worrying about a spat between a pagent contestant and an attention whore.

Other than that, it's been a good day.

Update from the next day: Yup, I do appreciate the irony of this post in light of that paragraph about american news. What can I say? It was far too late at night / early in the morning when the post was written.

No comments: