Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Road Trip / New Dylan

So I'm checking out the Dylan webpage. His new album comes out today so I'll be making the postwork trek to Soundscapes. Or perhaps Sonic Boom, which is usually less punishing to my wallet.

Anyways, Bob is touring this summer with Willie Nelson and John Mellencamp. Now I'm not the biggest Mellencamp fan, but I am a big fan of both Dylan and Willie. It looks like this is going to be another summer of smaller cities and ball parks and sadly no Canadian dates.

The last time I saw Bob and Willie play was the summer of my aneurysm. My father and I drove down to Cooperstown to see them play at Doubleday Field. We also spent a night in Syracuse, saw the Skychiefs play (Toronto's AAA affiliate) and had a great time traipsing through upstate New York. What a beautiful area. It was a great trip.

Since then, we've kept talking about making another trip to the area. Not necessarily to Cooperstown - the baseball hall of fame is actually kind of dull what with its wall after wall of baseballs that all kind of look alike - but to upstate New York. Of course, it doesn't hurt that we're both big fans of Richard Russo's novels. So many of them are set in the area.

For one reason or another (mostly work), it just hasn't panned out. This summer, though, I'm thinking it might. There's a concert in Syracuse on the first Friday of my vacation in July. My father is recently retired so work shouldn't be an issue for him. If we can find a ball game in the area, all the better.

1 comment:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Aneurysm? Oh dear, so glad that you recovered!

After seeing Radiohead in Washington last summer, I have become a big fan of roadtrips stateside to see concerts. And if you can squeeze a ballgame in there, you might be able to write it off as some kind of business expense.